Sunday, May 27, 2012

Poems the Earth Writes

Last week it caught my eye when Lorrie at Fabric Paper Thread asked the question What Kind of Tree Would You Be?  I remember thinking hard about this when I was in seventh grade and on a church retreat.   Each of us were given 30 minutes to go to a quiet place to think about the tree that might best represent our spiritual life.  It was a memorable exercise for me and one that I continue to think about from time-to-time.  
 This time of year it's hard not to think about trees.  Each spring when driving around Atlanta I think about the beautiful dogwoods and how they add a lace-like quality to our landscape.  We've even got a festival named to celebrate the dogwood season.  And just after the dogwoods lose their blossoms two beautiful trees make their entrances.  
  I think of the magnolia tree as a "hat lady."   An old-fashioned classic that reminds me so much of the older women in my past - perfectly appointed, delicately scented, perfectly coiffed with a dainty ivory hat.   Yes, the magnolia grandiflora enters the season with noticeable beauty.  This stately tree is one of my favorites.  
 Another tree that I love this time of year is the graceful mimosa tree.  It's so beautiful to see pink dotting the spring scenery.   Sadly this tree is hated by many being labeled invasive by lots of gardeners.   Growing up we had a mimosa tree and I loved the delicate fern-like leaves and those beautiful cotton candy puffs of pink.  Even more wonderful is the fragrance of this beautiful umbrella tree. 
   Hydrangeas are blooming like crazy and believe me, I'm enjoying my fair share of these magnificent showy blooms but as I'm enjoying incredible spring days and the beautiful flowers, I'm taking a little quiet time to enjoy the trees.  
I THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
  
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;
  
A tree that looks at God all day,        
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
  
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
  
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain. 
  
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
                                                                                  - Joyce Kilmer
This week I'll be joining The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment