Sunday, April 19, 2009

Lipstick Jihad

I just finished reading Lipstick Jihad and loved it. My girlfriend recommended that I read it as she has heard me share stories about being in an interracial marriage and facing challenges in raising a family and she thought that I would identify with many of the thoughts expressed in the book. In our house not only were there 2 cultures, there were 2 religions and we were living in rural Georgia. It is almost impossible for me to share the experience without getting somewhat emotional.

Lipstick Jihad provides a glimpse of life in Iran so the current headlines about Roxana Saberi has captivated my attention. The book is a wonderful memoir written by 24-year-old Azadeh Moavani. She is a young Iranian woman who grew up in California but decided to live and work as a journalist in Iran. As a young adult she shares the challenge of discovering who you are and where you belong. For those from mixed cultures or in this case, in diaspora, finding your place is a challenge, almost a quest.

Having just finished the Lipstick Jihad, I felt that I learned so much about Iran today and because this is all so recent, the headlines about Ms. Saberi has an extra connection. I will continue to pray for her swift release.

No comments:

Post a Comment