Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Celebrating Yang Peiyi - A Beautiful Child


Have you been watching the Olympics? I am not really a sports fan (except for my high school football team) but I do enjoy watching the Olympics and cheering for "our team." I also get excited about the global participation in an event where, generally speaking, politics are put aside. People compete in so many arenas and then congratulate one another. Other countries win events and the world celebrates anthems from countries all over the world. I feel happy that we respect one another. But today I felt sad for one little girl. In today's news we learned that young 7-year-old Yang Peiyi sang "Ode to Motherland" beautifully on Friday during the opening ceremonies but another little girl was chosen to appear before the world. It was decided that Yang Peiyi was not adequate because the child appearing in the ceremonies should be "flawless" in the camera's eye. It makes you wonder who decided this but today I want to use my blog posting to celebrate this beautiful young singer. Maybe my bi-focal contacts need to be changed but to me this little girl is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment