Sunday, February 13, 2011

We Don't Do Valentine's Day

My husband and I don't really celebrate Valentine's Day.  We never have.  It just wasn't a custom for him growing up so it was never a part of our relationship.  There are so many other occasions we celebrate throughout the year that I've never given it a second thought.   Normally I make a special cookie that I've made every Valentine's Day since we got married but I'm getting a little construction done in the house so I couldn't even bake cookies this year.  
Courtesy of ValentineCelebrations
 As I've been looking at all the decorations on other blogs I couldn't help but think about Valentine's Day growing up.  Every year not only did we have to make a special valentine for everyone in our class, we also had to decorate a valentine box.  Did you have to make a valentine box?   My mom was a working mom in the 50s and 60s and with 4 kids there was rarely "make it" time but when I was in second grade she helped me make the most beautiful valentine box ever!  It even won the class award for the best valentine box!   Oh I wish I had pictures of the shoebox that had been covered in white meat paper (thank you Piggly Wiggly).  Then my mom cut strips of red tulle that she gathered on the machine and we glued them around the edge of the box to make a skirt.  
It was magnificent.  

Wishing you all a wonderful Valentine's Day full of love and surprises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment