Saturday, January 28, 2012

Celebrations, Presentations and Relaxation

Something happened to my post it seems so I'm reposting as I link up to The Tablescaper to celebrate Seasonal Sunday.  
 It was a wonderful week. It began with a celebration of my husband's 60th birthday.  He was born in the Year of the Dragon so he is convinced that the Chinese New Year Celebrations are part of his birthday celebrations. 

At work we enjoyed a special presentation and visit with Ken and Kathleen Powell.  Ken is a WWII POW and Kathleen is a Rosie the Riveter. 
Ken is holding the egg beaters he made while held as a prisoner using scrap metal. 
 Both Ken and Kathleen have amazing stories to tell and both are in their 90s so I was especially honored that they came to spend time with my workplace.   The egg beater Ken is holding is being fought over by two museums.  The detail of his handiwork is amazing but as he shared with the audience, "we had plenty of time on our hands."
If you are interested in learning more, you might be interested in the book that was written about Ken and his brothers,   Four Stars in the Window.
Tells the dramatic story of four brothers in one family during WWII who survived an Iwo Jima battle, a German POW camp, Omaha Beach on D-Day, and Army Air Corps cadet training.
I ended the week with a visit to a bed and breakfast that happens to be just around the corner from my house. 
 And so I enjoyed an afternoon tea with a dear friend in a lovely setting with a delightful hostess.
I hope you are enjoying the pleasures of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment